Skip to content
Here are 10 fun facts about Espresso!
- Espresso isn’t a specific type of bean, it is how you brew it! It uses high pressure to force hot water through finely ground coffee beans.
- Some people think you need an expensive coffee machine to brew good espressos, when in fact there are inexpensive alternatives such as a french press, or even this great Mini Personal Espresso Maker for on the go!
- It is actually regulated by the Italian government because they consider it so essential to their daily life.
- Ideal brewing time is between 25 and 30 seconds per shot.
- The light colored liquid that comes out first and sits on top of your espresso is called “crema”.
- Espresso actually has ⅓ less caffeine than regular drip coffee, because of the general size of an espresso cup at 2oz compared to a regular 8oz cup of coffee.
- Espresso was invented in the early 1900’s as a way to decrease the coffee break times of the workers.
- Espresso has a number of great health benefits, including enhancing your long-term memory, increasing your attention throughout the day, suppressing your appetite increasing weight loss, and reducing the risk of stroke and diabetes.
- One shot of espresso requires 50 coffee beans!
- A perfect espresso should have a strong aroma and a golden red color with tiny speckles. If you don't get this, make sure you are using filtered water and be sure to stir the crema into the espresso just prior to drinking.